Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
nvetrano
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil

Possible Bug - Red status, green check in detail

Post by nvetrano »

I have the last few backups failing. The first "failure" indicated in the Status window shows a red bar on the graph. When I click for detail all log entries are green.

They list all successful entries as:
Preparing for backup
Creating VSS snapshot
Preparing for backup
System reserved (disk 0) (100.0 MB) 14.0 MB read at 14 MB/s [CBT]
(c:) (178.8 GB) 4.8 GB read at 18 MB/s [CBT]

So did the first red status succeed or fail? I do have a backup file of 505MB timestamped the date of the first Red status, so I'd think it actually succeeded. I can even select to restore files from that date.

Subsequent Red status details do show errors at various points of the backup process. There is no indication to me as to the real cause of failure.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Possible Bug - Red status, green check in detail

Post by Mike Resseler »

Neil,

There is certainly something failing. Regardless that the details show green. If the main view is red, then something went wrong.

You can go to event viewer and look at the dedicated Veeam Backup folder under Applications and Services logs to see what went wrong and post it here, or you can use the email support case feature so we can investigate what went wrong.

Cheers

Mike
nvetrano
Influencer

Post by nvetrano »

This is the error I am seeing now. All status bars show red now.

VM SERVERNAME task has finished with 'Failed' state.
Task details: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed.
Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.
VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].
Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed.
Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.
VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].

I ran a batch file to reset and re-register the VSS components, restarted the Veeam service and started a backup. We shall see...
nvetrano
Influencer

Post by nvetrano »

SUCCESS. I ran a successful backup after re-registering VSS. Perhaps a batch file in a support folder in the install directory, so users could run this to troubleshoot VSS backup errors?

Here is the batch file I used on Windows 2008 R2:

cd /d %windir%\system32
net stop vss
net stop swprv
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
vssvc /register
regsvr32 /s /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /s /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 /s es.dll
regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
regsvr32 /s vssui.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml4.dll
vssvc /register
net start swprv
net start vss
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the heads up. There is one problem with what you have done on Win2k08 R2. It is a workaround that sometimes is effective (but not always) but definitely something you don't want to use in 2012 or 2012 R2 or windows 8 or 8.1

Luckily VSS is much more stable in those OS-es, where it indeed sometimes has issues in 2K08 R2 or Windows 7. One final question on this, was this machine fully patches including VSS hotfixes? Because I am not aware of these kind of issues AFTER these OS-es are fully patched / hotfixed. But after working with VSS already since the begin days of 2K03, I am not surprised anymore :-)

Thanks

Mike
nvetrano
Influencer

Post by nvetrano »

We applied updates to our servers over the holiday break, so it should be fairly up to date on all Microsoft patches and updates.

Thanks.