Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
syscom
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Syscom SARL

Offsite Tapes

Post by syscom »

Hi,

I have set up a second Veeam backup server in an secondary place (offsite) with a TS3200 library.

We want to export the weelky media tape set to the offsite. The only way to do this is to import the tapes in the offsite but there is a major inconvenient : catalogization is very SLOW, we have LTO6 tapes and the server has to read the entire tape... We can't wait so much time.

Is there a way to speed up the process of the "catalogization" when it is started on the offsite ?

Or another way to do so, maybe a synchronization of the 2 Veeam databases ? (main site / offsite)

Thank you for your comments.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Offsite Tapes

Post by Dima P. »

syscom,
Or another way to do so, maybe a synchronization of the 2 Veeam databases ? (main site / offsite)
There is no such functionality now.
The only way to do this is to import the tapes in the offsite but there is a major inconvenient : catalogization is very SLOW, we have LTO6 tapes and the server has to read the entire tape
You are performing the catalogue operations on the tape media, previously written by another Veeam B&R server, right? Are you doing it for restore purpose, or just for tracking/managing tape media - trying to understand your use case for future improvements?

Is it possible to use the inventory job instead, it reads only the tape header, so it’s much faster.
syscom
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Syscom SARL

Post by syscom »

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, we want to do this for restore purpose in case of. We need to have tapes outside the main site.

So, if I understand, it is not necessary to catalog tape if we don't restore data ? But I think it's important to do this either because in case of emergency, we need to restore VMs ASAP on the secondary site.

Can catalog process be scheduled ? (with powershell ?)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Understood. Yes in such case, adding media to the catalogue is necessary. You can create a PS script for catalogue process and put it in the Windows Scheduler. Here is an example from the Help Center: Start-VBRTapeCatalog
So, if I understand, it is not necessary to catalog tape if we don't restore data ?
That is true, it’s enough to run an inventory job, after which VBR will display all the media meta information in the console.