Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lightsout
Expert
Liked: 62 times

Exchange 2010 Frequent Backups

Post by lightsout »

Hey all,

In Veeam v8, it has a very nice option to do SQL transaction log backups every 15 minutes. I've got to say this works really well - it is seamless and easy to configure!

So what I want to know, is there a similar system for Exchange at all? If not, how do I handle it?

Thanks!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Exchange 2010 Frequent Backups

Post by dellock6 »

Hi,
even if it's not the same functionality, v8 has support for hard deleted items, so has long as the database is accessible you can restore any exchange object. Even those not in a backup to be honest: say an email was received at 3pm and immediately hard deleted (shift+delete + clean recycle bin), and last backup has been done the night before, you can take a manual backup of exhange, and have the email in the hard deleted items of the last restore point.
Not exactly the log backup for SQL but something you can consider, maybe combined with DAG in order to protect the databases from failures between backups.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So what I want to know, is there a similar system for Exchange at all? If not, how do I handle it?
Can you elaborate on what particular functionality you're willing to get for Exchange VMs? More details would not harm. Thanks.
lightsout
Expert
Liked: 62 times

Post by lightsout »

I have a DAG, but it is on the same SAN. So I have some redundancy, but not in the event of a disaster.

Basically I'd like the "Backup logs Periodically" as per here for SQL:

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ql_vm.html

But for Exchange. So rather than backing up Exchange daily, I could do this, to make sure my RPO is a lot lower than it currently is. I know Exchange/SQL are not the same, but the ability to reply Exchange logs would be awesome.

As I said earlier, the SQL function is just fantastic. I remember trying to set-up the same thing in Backup Exec, and it was just awful. :)