Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

How does Copy Job determine which restore point to include?

Post by cparker4486 »

I'm confused about how a VM's latest restore point is included or excluded from a given Copy cycle. Take for example the following scenarios:

Scenario A:
There's one Backup job with 10 VMs. Each VM takes 1 hour to process. The Backup job and Copy job both begin at the same time at 12AM. The Copy job runs for a full 24 hours. So by 10 AM all VMs have finished processing. Would all 10 VMs be included in the current Copy job's cycle or would they be included at the beginning of the next cycle?

Scenario B:
Same Backup job with 10 VMs. The job begins at 12AM and each VM takes 1 hour to process. The difference in this scenario is when the Copy job begins and let's make it 6AM. From 12AM to 6AM a total of 6 VMs will have finished processing before the Copy job begins a new cycle. How would it work in this case? Would the first 6 VMs go in the existing cycle of the Copy job with the other 6 going in the next cycle (beginning at 6AM)?

I've got a scenario similar to Scenario B where the Backup and Copy jobs begin at different times and sometimes VMs are skipped.
-- Chris
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: How does Copy Job determine which restore point to inclu

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Chris,

When backup copy job starts synchronization process, VBR checks if a new restore point is available at the source and if a new restore point is found, the job starts the synchronization process and copies the latest VM restore point from the source backup repository to the target backup repository. More info is here.
So in Scenario A when backup job and backup copy job start at the same time at 12AM, backup copy job will copy only latest existing restore points if there are any. If no restore points are found the job will go back to idle state waiting for a new restore point to appear on the source backup repository. In Scenario B, the behavior will be the same.

Could you elaborate on your goals, please?
The backup job creates a single backup file, containing 12 VMs. Do you need to backup copy all of them or just several?
By the way, generally, all VMs in a job are processed in parallel. Do you have another settings?

Thank you.
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Shestakov wrote:...if a new restore point is available at the source and if a new restore point is found, the job starts the synchronization process and copies the latest VM restore point...
Yes, I know. But what exactly is meant by "if a new restore point is available"? At what point exactly is a VM considered a new restore point? (This is what I'm trying to get answered.)

Does a VM that completes during a copy job's current cycle count as a new restore point for that cycle or does it count as a new restore point for the next cycle?
By the way, generally, all VMs in a job are processed in parallel. Do you have another settings?
What do you mean by "parallel"? As far as I know, B&R only performs a specified number of concurrent/parallel tasks at one time. In my case I've set that to three. I set this value a very long time ago. Should I set it to something else now that I'm running v8?
-- Chris
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Unless source backup job is done, the restore point is not available to backup copy.
cparker4486 wrote:Does a VM that completes during a copy job's current cycle count as a new restore point for that cycle or does it count as a new restore point for the next cycle?
Once backup the job is finished and new backup file is created, backup copy job will be able to work with it. While source job is running, backup copy job is able to copy only the previous restore point.
cparker4486 wrote:What do you mean by "parallel"? As far as I know, B&R only performs a specified number of concurrent/parallel tasks at one time. In my case I've set that to three. I set this value a very long time ago. Should I set it to something else now that I'm running v8?
Parallel processing means that VBR processes several VMs in the job and VM disks in the same time.
The max. number of concurrent tasks that a backup proxy or repository can perform depends on the number of CPU cores available on this backup proxy or backup repository. It`s recommended to assign task limitation settings using the following rule: 1 task = 1 CPU core. For example, if a backup proxy has 4 CPU cores, it is recommended that you limit the number of concurrent tasks for this backup proxy to 4.

Thanks!
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Shestakov wrote:Once backup the job is finished and new backup file is created, backup copy job will be able to work with it. While source job is running, backup copy job is able to copy only the previous restore point.
Great! This is what I was looking for.
Parallel processing means that VBR processes several VMs in the job and VM disks in the same time.
I know but in your previous post you said "By the way, generally, all VMs in a job are processed in parallel. Do you have another settings?" which is different from the guidance you just provided on setting the quantity of concurrent tasks. Did you mean something else when you said "all VMs"?
-- Chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

cparker4486 wrote:Did you mean something else when you said "all VMs"?
I assume Nikita just missed "provided there are enough available task slots on the proxy servers". ;)
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Thanks for clarifying.
-- Chris