Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

New media set created when it should not be...

Post by TommyB »

Hi,

I currently have a single tape job for full and incremental that copies both to the same media pool.

I have set up the media pool to create a new media set every Monday, so I get a weekly set of tapes with full backups on Monday (the backup jobs create synthetic fulls on Saturdays) and incrementals from Tuesday until Friday.

Typically, the full backups fit onto three tapes, with the third tape filled up to 25% capacity. Normally I would expect that the following incrementals would be appended to tape three until it is full and would then continue with tape four of the same media set... and so on.

I'm quite sure this worked as I described above for V7, but since V8, after the third tape is ejected, the system wants to have a new tape which is assigned to a new media set the problem with that is that I run out of tapes because a new media set also gets a new expiration date and sooner or later there are no more tapes in the pool that can be overwritten.

regards
Thomas
TommyB
Expert

Re: New media set created when it should not be...

Post by TommyB »

There seems to be another problem, full backup files that where already backed up on Monday are backed up again on Tuesday, this is the message that shows in the job log:
Modified storage D:\Backups\company_fileserver\company_fileserver2015-01-11T210252.vbk on This server was added to backup list
When looking at the file date, the .vbk file has a timestamp from sunday, so it apparently did not change from Monday to Tuesday. The only file that is newer is a .vib from Monday evening.

Is this expected behaviour?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Since V8, after the third tape is ejected, the system wants to have a new tape which is assigned to a new media set the problem with that is that I run out of tapes because a new media set also gets a new expiration date and sooner or later there are no more tapes in the pool that can be overwritten.
What time is specified for media set creation? May be a new media set has been created in accordance with the specified settings and, thus, a backup servers asks for a new medium? Thanks.
martynuk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Martin Etheridge

Post by martynuk »

We have been having issues with vbk files being backed up multiple times under v8. We are currently testing a private fix with patch 1, although I still can't be sure if it has completely fixed our problems yet. I am waiting for the backup to tape job to "catch up" with the backlog of vbk files before I can be certain.

Probably worth raising a call with Veeam to see if you have the same problem. Our case number with Veeam is 00690220.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

v.Eremin wrote:What time is specified for media set creation? May be a new media set has been created in accordance with the specified settings and, thus, a backup servers asks for a new medium? Thanks.
The setting is to create a new media set at 00:01 on Monday only.

For the currently week I have a Mediaset "Weekly Backup 12.01.2015 09:01" that was created on Monday, plus a media set "Weekly Backup 13.01.2015 09:17" that was created today (which in my opinion should not happen).

Not sure if this might be related, but I have set up the tape job to eject the tape at the end.

What happened on Monday:

- Inserted Tape 1 -> new media set
- Tape 1 full -> ejected

- Insert Tape 2
- Tape 2 full -> ejected

- Insert Tape 3
- Tape 3 -> ejected

This morning (Tuesday) I inserted Tape 3 again (because it still had plenty of free space) but it was ejected and the next tape I inserted got a new media set (and sequence no. 1)

I now had to change the tape retention to only 1 week instead of 2 because otherwise I would run out of available tapes. :?

regards
Thomas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thomas,
From the top of my head - any time zone or time changes inside your infrastructure / backup server?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

And just to be sure there is only Monday selected in "Mediaset -> Daily at -> On these days -> Days" settings? Thanks.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

Yes, see screenshot here:

http://pbrd.co/1Bo8pAI

And it seems I can't get the tape backup to an end because every morning it adds another old .vbk file:

14.01.2015 09:13:42 :: Modified storage D:\Backups\ellis_Archiv _ DC - ELTAS2 _ ELTDC1\ellis_Archiv _ DC - ELTAS2 _ ELTDC12015-01-11T210326.vbk on This server was added to backup list
14.01.2015 09:13:42 :: Changes in source storage detected. Scan for changes
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is retention for given media pool shorter than retention for source backup jobs? Thanks.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

v.Eremin wrote:Is retention for given media pool shorter than retention for source backup jobs? Thanks.
The media pool currently has 1 week retention, the backup jobs have different retention settings ranging from 7 (vsphere appliance ) to 45 (Exchange server)

But how can this be "longer" or "shorter"?

Retention for backup jobs is "number of restore points" and for media pools it is "number of days/weeks/months"... how can you compare number of restore points to a time span?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The main idea is that backups should be stored longer on tapes, than they are on disks. Otherwise, the information about those backups would be removed from tape catalogue (in accordance with the specified media pool settings) and backup server would try to archive to tapes those backups (that are still present on disks) once again. Thanks.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

v.Eremin wrote:The main idea is that backups should be stored longer on tapes, than they are on disks. Otherwise, the information about those backups would be removed from tape catalogue (in accordance with the specified media pool settings) and backup server would try to archive to tapes those backups (that are still present on disks) once again. Thanks.
Well, before the problem with the .vbk files (=before 8.x) the tape retention was two weeks and I never had any problem with the same backup files being backed up multiple times or wrong media sets... I also never saw the message "Modified storage xxxx on This server was added to backup list" before 8.0.

And since the .vbk file was created on Sunday, and was already backed up on Monday, it should not being copied to tape again one day later... with 1 week retention setting.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, based on the provided settings, it should not have been copied indeed. I'd recommend opening a ticket with our support team, as debug logs should shed some light on the experienced behaviour. Thanks.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

Done, case ID 00727703

By the way, the backup that just started created a new media set again... despite the fact that 575 GB where free on the last tape from yesterday :(

At least it only processes the incrementals from the last two days.