Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question about failover with replication

Post by foggy »

You're welcome. Feel free to ask for any additional clarification, if required.
gparker
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: George Parker

Post by gparker »

Hi,

Why not locate the vCenter server along with the B&R server in the DR site and have vCenter managing both the prod and DR ESX clusters? If the WAN link between the 2 sites is good enough, you can deploy another B&R instance at prod to perform the local prod daily backups and the B&R instance at DR is only doing the replication.

are there any issues with this setup?

George.
gparker
Enthusiast

Post by gparker »

Just following on from what I just wrote...Many people on this thread were posing the question of deploying 2 vCenter servers - one at prod and one at DR, or just have one prod vCenter and replicate it to DR to be spun up in case disaster strikes the prod site. So why not simplify things by placing one vCenter server at the DR site to manage both the prod and DR Datacenters? Then you wouldn't need to worry about additional vCenter licensing/deployment costs and you'd remove the need to replicate the vCenter server altogether. Am I right? Have I missed something?

George.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

George, this is also a viable approach. Feel free to choose the one that better suits your particular environment.
gparker
Enthusiast

Post by gparker »

Ok, thanks foggy :) I thought it was a bit weird that no one else posted my suggestion earlier in this conversation, which was why I wondered if my approach is viable. Thanks for verifying it.

George.