Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Dean lewis

Write particular VM's to Tape

Post by saintdle »

Hi,

It would be nice when creating a tape job, if you can specify the VM's in the infrastructure rather than just backup jobs, Like you can in a backup copy job.

At the moment the jobs are too big to fit on my tape, however within these jobs not all the VM's are needed to be wrote to tape, but ideally need to stay in the same backup job.

I'd rather not have to start splitting up the backup jobs, as we target the technology, rather than "Criticial / Non-Critical"

Dean
Technical Architect
Veeam Certified Architect
Veeam Vanguard
  • Personal Technical Blog - www.veducate.co.uk
  • Twitter - @saintdle
thomas23
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Write particular VM's to Tape

Post by thomas23 »

Hello Dean,

have you test the File-To-Tape Option?
You can specify the backup-Files from a vm when you select your Repository and then the folder/files with your vm-backup.

thomas
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dean,

If you want to offload particular VMs to tapes only, then I would suggest configuring backup copy jobs to create smaller backup files for these VMs only and then use tape jobs to write this data to tapes.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Be aware to update to version 8 first, because backup copy job has not been supported previously as a source for backup to tape job. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Dean,
Another option is to create a specific backup to disk job and include only VMs you want to archive to tape. Also you could add additional tape media to the said media pool or it does not work for your case?