Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jpplante
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: JP Plante

Vault to specific slots

Post by jpplante »

Does anyone have any suggestions of ways I can have tapes that are vaulted be moved to specific slots in the library?

Basically I have a 24 slot library and I want to move weekly full backup sets offsite for a month. It would be nice to have tapes that have been "Vaulted" moved to a different slot ( "Right Magazine" in my case) so I can have anyone grab them without taking the wrong tapes out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Vault to specific slots

Post by veremin »

Can you elaborate on that? Only tapes that are offline (or located outside the library) can be sent to a vault, so, I'm not sure how slots would fit into this picture. Thanks.
jpplante
Novice

Post by jpplante »

Good point. Sorry for the lack of detail.

I guess I am looking for a fool proof way to take a complete set of tapes offsite. I wanted to have the job close and put the tapes in different slots so I can have one of the help desk staff grab the tapes to bring offsite once a week. This would take away the need for them to find out which of the tapes in the drive needed to be removed. Is there a way to have Veeam relocate tapes to different slots in a library?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is there a way to have Veeam relocate tapes to different slots in a library?
No, currently there is no way to make VB&R work with slots in the described fashion.

However, wouldn't weekly media set exported once a week answer your requirements?

Thanks.
jpplante
Novice

Post by jpplante »

Thanks for the information. Yes that is what I am planning on doing. My issue was not the method. I wanted to leave 12 tapes in the library and only take the ones used per week offsite and the individual who is taking them has no clue which tapes to take. Oh well it was just a thought.

Thanks again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

JP,
I guess you can use the said export functionality plus granular email notification set to notify the needed person on backup to tape job activities. Barcodes are included, so he could pick the exported media according to the notifications
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can also write a simple script that lists tape mediums along with mediasets they belong to. Having that information should give your stuff clues on what media should be taken offline. Thanks.