timmi2704
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Timo Brandt

Copy single restore points from imported backup chain

Post by timmi2704 »

Good morning everyone,

I hope you can help me out again.

I need a restore of some Exchange 2007 items from an imported backup chain which (unfortunately) lies on a very slow repository.
As this leads to some problems when starting the sure backup environment (ESX host becomes unresonsive due to very high disk latency) I would like to have one restore point of two VMs of that chain on a faster repository (The whole backup contains a lot more VMs).

Would you see another possibility than restoring these two VMs and backing them up afterwards on the fast repository?
(A backup copy job dows not work, as it keeps on waiting for new restore points)

I cannot simply copy the whole backup file to the new repository as it is several TB in size.

Thanks for you help.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Copy single restore points from imported backup chain

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Timo,

You can choose the point you want to restore from, make Instant VM recovery not turning the VM on, and make restore of desired items.

If you had faster storage, you could use Veeam AIR-wizard, for Item-level restore from Exchange 2007 so you will not need to restore the whole VM. By the way, what version of VRB are you at?
Thank you.
timmi2704
Expert

Post by timmi2704 »

Hi Nikita,

thanks for your reply.
The way of restoring Exchange 2007 items is painful, but it works :-)

My problem is the following.
The backup chain containing my restore points lies on a slow repository.
I want to move/copy the backups of the exchange server and the domain controller to a faster repository.
As the restore points are older than a few months, a backup copy job does not work, as it will be waiting for new restore points. It does not automatically copy the old restore point in the chain.

I hope, that I was able to explain my problem a little bit more in detail :?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Timo,
Thank you for the clarification!

I discussed your issue with my colleagues and we drew a conclusion that the best you can do is to make Instant VM recovery from the necessary restore point, without turning the VM on, then backup it to the faster repository and make surebackup there to be able to restore desired items on the file-level with AIR wizard.

I did edit my first post, but looks like you had read the initial answer. Sorry for the misleading :)
timmi2704
Expert

Post by timmi2704 »

Hi Nikita,

thanks for your clarification as well :-)
You were right, I read your initial un-edited answer.

Now it makes sense to me. Backing up the Instant Recovery VM sounds good, as it avoids the need of a restore before.

Thanks for this interesting idea! It is not very unlikely that I will need that in future.

Btw.: I would give anything for an Exchange Explorer for Exchange 2007 (The Explorer for Exchange 2010/2013 works like a charm, but we're are still at 2007) ;-)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

timmi2704 wrote:Btw.: I would give anything for an Exchange Explorer for Exchange 2007 (The Explorer for Exchange 2010/2013 works like a charm, but we're are still at 2007) ;-)
This will hardly ever happen.
timmi2704
Expert

Post by timmi2704 »

To be honest, I did not think that it would happen.
And your decision to not support it is understandable, the reasons you have are justified.

It was just a dream of mine :-)