Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
krismason
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kris Mason

LTO6 and V8

Post by krismason »

Hi All,

I have a HP MSL2024 library single drive 6GB SAS with one LTO drive - this device has the option for a second drive.

I am looking at getting an LTO6 drive and some LTO6 tapes as our backups are getting larger regularly - dailys fit on 1 LTO and weekly takes 5-6 depends on the week.

What compression results are people using veeam 8 out there seeing on LTO6 and usable data capacity?

Cheers
Kris
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: LTO6 and V8

Post by veremin »

Just to be sure you're talking here about hardware compression provided by tape device? Thanks.
krismason
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kris Mason

Post by krismason »

Yes that's correct I assume as Veeam is already heavily compressed to see possibly no compression to tape?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It depends on the settings you've specified on the job level. Extremely compressed data is unlikely to be compressed even more. In general, you would stick either to software of ti hardware compression, though. Thanks.
ocky72
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Andy Blackman

Post by ocky72 »

Is there any way to see what hardware compression results we're getting in the Veeam interface, or is it just a manual process of comparing used space to backup file size?

I only ask as every tape job shows compression at 1x unless the disk backup was compressed (we have the option to decompress the backup set on the repository so nothing should be compressed before it heads to tape)

Cheers

Andy
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're right, it's just matter of comparing sizes. Before and after; or software against hardware compression. Thanks.
ocky72
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Andy Blackman

Post by ocky72 »

Cool, thanks