Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Quick couple of questions

Post by scidoner »

Hi!

I couldn't find this documented anywhere (maybe I'm stupid :D ), nor could I find it anywhere on the forums here (maybe I'm stupid x2 :twisted: ).

Quick questions on some Veeam messages that show up in the logs:

1. Waiting for completion of other tasks (VM is backup server - not a parallel task)
What's the technical reason behind this?

2. Waiting for completion of other tasks (VM is SQL server with configuration database - not a parallel task)
What's the technical reason behind this?

3. Using backup proxy VMware Backup Proxy for disk Hard disk 1 [nbd]
This one is logged when Veeam goes to back up itself (i.e. the back up server). Why can't it use hotadd for backing the Veeam server up?

This is all to just satisfy my curiosity, I have no issues, all is working fine :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Quick couple of questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

1-2. This message is displayed when your proxy server cannot accept more tasks to process new VMs. How many tasks do you have configured on the proxy server?
3. That's a known behavior, please check out this topic for more info.

Thanks!
scidoner
Enthusiast

Post by scidoner »

Sorry, for 1-2 I think you missed the bit where it says "VM is backup server - not a parallel task" and "VM is SQL server with configuration database - not a parallel task", which was the guts of the question. :)

I have 4 tasks configured on the proxy.

But I'm after the reason behind why can't configuration SQL server for Veeam and Veeam backup server itself be processed in parallel?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Backup of Veeam Backup server as well SQL Server hosting Veeam config data is done in a sequential order. This was a by-design decision to avoid race conditions between snapshot creation/deletion tasks and management console communication with its components.
scidoner
Enthusiast

Post by scidoner »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Backup of Veeam Backup server as well SQL Server hosting Veeam config data is done in a sequential order. This was a by-design decision to avoid race conditions between snapshot creation/deletion tasks and management console communication with its components.
Cool, cheers :)

Also why is CBT disabled for backing up the Veeam server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Your Veeam backup server contains the default proxy role and for hotadd proxy servers CBT is disabled for these reasons > Slow backup of VM that has Veeam Backup Proxy installed

Hope this helps!
scidoner
Enthusiast

Post by scidoner »