Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Feature Change Request - Veeam Temp Snapshots

Post by ekisner »

The working snapshot while a job is running simply shows as a Veeam Temp Snapshot. There's no details about it which could prove useful (such as when the snapshot was mode, by which job, etc). On the opposite side, the replica restore point snapshots have a plethora of very useful information. It would be nice to have the description of the Veeam temp snapshot show as much information as possible... when, which B&R server, and which job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Change Request - Veeam Temp Snapshots

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please elaborate a bit more on the use case for writing this kind of information to the temp snapshot of the backed up VM?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

On the opposite side, the replica restore point snapshots have a plethora of very useful information.
You seem to have pointed out the difference yourself. Replicas snapshots contain that information because they are restore points and some temporary things that will be deleted as soon as backup cycle is finished. Thanks.
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this... I admit I forgot I had even posted this.

In some cases jobs do not complete successfully. This morning being one such instance, where I have 3 open snapshots and no jobs running, each giving no more information than "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT".

It's easy enough to delete them, but knowing how long they've been open, which job they failed on (be it replica or backup), etc, would be of interest and would aid in zeroing in on potential problems faster.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Partially you can find this information (snapshot age, size) in the Active Snapshots predefined Veeam One report.
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Thanks, I'll give that a check.