Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Question about deduplication

Post by verre »

Hi everybody, I've a question for you. Suppose I need to backup two vm in parallel using two proxies. The first proxy deduplicates the first machine and the second proxy makes the same with the second machine. Suppose that the two vm are quite similar... does someone deduplicate the two machine another time together?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Question about deduplication

Post by veremin »

Kindly, take a look at the sticky FAQ, should clarify your question. Thanks.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Thank you Eremin. I had already read the FAQ. Indeed my doubt is: as I have understood the second deduplication between the two vm, take place on the "target side transport service", is it? So... I already know that the "transport service" could be installed on a Linux VM. Therefore a Transport Service on a linux vm can deduplicate and this is my last question: if a linux vm with transport service can deduplicate there is no differences between a linux vm with transport service and a windows proxy vm! I don't understand what a proxy windows has more than a transport service linux.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Not sure I understand your question. It is correct that target-side deduplication is performed by Veeam data mover agent (aka transport service) installed on the repository server. After being retrieved and processed by the source data mover agent installed on a proxy, data is being sent to the target data mover agent (repository), where deduplication between different VMs in a job is performed and data is then written to the storage.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If your concern about Linux proxies, then this thread might be helpful.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Thank you foggy. My question is: the "Target Side Transport Service" deduplicates the data and it is installed in a Linux vm. Is it?
I don't understant what the proxy (windows) does more than a "Target Side Transport Service" Linux.
I understand that the "Source Side Transport Service" could be installed only on a Windows machine (we called that proxy) but no reason to install another proxy (another windows license) as a target
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The proxy retrieves the data from the source datastore, dedupes/compresses it, and sends it over to the target storage. In terms of deduplication, it eliminates multiple copies of the same files stored inside VM, for example. Here's a bit more on that.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Yes Foggy thank you. Could you check if this paint is correct?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V1PF ... sp=sharing
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Yes, the design is correct.
One note however: on Linux the transport executable is not running as a service (daemon in this case...), rather is dinamically deployed at each run and executed, and then removed when the job is over. That's why for example we require to enable ssh and have perl into the linux box, and the linux itself being reachable via ssh from VBR server.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1