Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kacsp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Question on backup of replica VMs running in a Virtual Lab

Post by kacsp »

I've successfully been able run backups (using AAIP) of Replica VMs which are running inside a SureBackup Virtual Lab, but even after a bit reading around the subject I'm still a bit unclear as to how this possible in terms of how SnapShots are managed by the SureBackup Job, & then the subsequent Backup Job.

Any changes to a Replica VM which is running inside of a VL are saved to a delta file which is then discarded when the VL is shut down. But If I back up that running Replica VM, I know that (because I've tried it) any changes made up to that point on the VM will be backed-up successfully; with the proof being that I can now restore a new VM from the backup file and those changes will be included in the new VM.

So how is Veeam managing SnapShots here? Both the SureBackup Job process & the following Backup Job must each be creating Snapshots, so does the Backup Job delete/consolidate the Replica VM's delta first? If that's the case, when I shut down the SureBackup Job VL, will the Replica - which normally discards any changes - retain the changes made after the SureBackup Job was started and up to the point the Backup Job was run?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question on backup of replica VMs running in a Virtual L

Post by foggy »

Backup/replication jobs consolidate existing VM snapshots into a single flat file, so that only the current state of the VM is backed up. Snapshots themselves are preserved on the original VM though.
kacsp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Re: Question on backup of replica VMs running in a Virtual L

Post by kacsp »

OK thanks...