Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

replication from remote to remote host

Post by terrance101 »

Hey all,

I have a query here. Say there are 3 hosts, host A with veeam on it. Then there are 2 other hosts host b and host c sitting across international waters. Now if host a initiates a replication from host b to host c will it pull the data back to itself first or will it the let the link be established directly between host b and host c?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: replication from remote to remote host

Post by veremin »

Assuming that you explicitly specify source and target proxy that resides on host b and c, respectively, the data would flow directly between these hosts.

Thanks.
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by terrance101 »

Tnx for that, and just out of curiosity what would host A then be doing other than setting up the session? Would a lot of data be sent back during the session or how does it work?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No, it wouldn’t. In this case, the Veeam Management server will only play the orchestrator role instructing/communicating with replication architecture components. Thanks.
emaitch
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hammen

Post by emaitch »

Sorry to excavate this old Post...

We also have an constellation like "terrance101".
On site A we have the Veeam Server and the VCenter - server.
On site B (and C and D) we have 2 ESX Server each who is managed by the vCenter on site A.

Now i want to replicate the VMs from ESX1 on site B to ESX2 on site B.
What exactly do i need for this?
I think i need a Veeam proxy on site B on any Server or must this proxy installed on an dedicated (source or destination ESX) Server?
For example:

I install the Veeam Proxy on an Windows - Server (management1srv) on ESX1 (site B).
The Veeam Server (on site A) knows this Proxy and the 2 ESX server (through the vCenter (site A)).
The replication - Job is configured to use the Proxy on the "management1srv" on ESX1 (site B) an does the work of this job (means, that the traffic will run only between ESX1 and ESX2 on the site B).

Another Question:
Is ist possible to replicate/backup this Server (management1srv) also (because the Veeam proxy is running on it)?!?

Regards,
Michael
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In case both hosts in site B have only local storage, you need proxy servers on both of them for optimal replication performance. However a single proxy in site B is also enough for the data transfer to occur locally within site B (just different transport modes will be used in these cases).
emaitch wrote:Is ist possible to replicate/backup this Server (management1srv) also (because the Veeam proxy is running on it)?!!
Yes, VM running proxy server can also be backed up/replicated.
emaitch
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hammen

Post by emaitch »

Thanks foggy! If our new Server is arrived i will test it with 2 oder just 1 Proxy.
The Servers has only local storage...

Regards,
Michael
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Feel free to ask for assistance in case you have any questions while configuring replication.