singy2002
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Singleton

Replication Warning Message

Post by singy2002 »

Hi,

I am getting a warning message on job completion, the warning is -

Creating snapshot RPC function call failed. Function name: [Unfreeze]. Target machine: [IP Address]. RPC error:The RPC server is unavailable. Code: 1722 RPC function call failed. Function name: [Freeze]. Target machine: [IP Address]. RPC error:The RPC server is unavailable. Code: 1722

My scenario is -

ESX cluster 1 (2 ESX's running ~20 VM's) Fibre SAN

ESX DR Cluster (1 ESX with Physical Storage)

The DR cluster is about 1 mile away, it is connected via a 1GB fibre link. There is a router at both ends and to the best of my knowledge no firewalls between the two (router at both ends on a private circuit) The source VM's do not have a firewall on them.

I am replicating 2 large VM's from my main cluster to the local storage on the second server. The replication task is completing and all the files seems to be in working order.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on the message and hopefully advise how I can resolve the warning.

Regards
Andy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication Warning Message

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andy,

Do you see any error messages on the target machine (source VM) Event log? For me it still seems like a firewall issue, so I would double check that. Anyway it would be best if you could open support case with us and provide full logs from Help | Support Information, so our technical team could assist you.

Thank you!
singy2002
Service Provider

Post by singy2002 »

Hi,
Thanks for the response, I have just been informed there may be some port blocking on one fo the routers, please could you confim which ports are required between the desination and source?
Regards
Andy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Andy,

Please have a look at User's Guide (page 24) for the required ports list.
singy2002
Service Provider

Post by singy2002 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Andy,

Please have a look at User's Guide (page 24) for the required ports list.
Thanks, Could i just clarify the following.

Veeam Backup & Replication 4.1 uses SSH (TCP port 22) and/or HTTPS (TCP port 443) protocols as control channels (from the console to the source and/or target) and the range of ports from 2500 to 5000 as transmission channels (between the source and the target). For one job (copy/backup/replication), one port from this range is used.

Does the console refer to the ESX at the source site or the ESX at the destination site (or both?)

Also

In case of using VSS, Veeam Backup & Replication 4.1 uses NetBIOS (TCP port 139, UDP ports 137, 138), SMB (TCP port 445) and RPC (TCP port 135) protocol connections from the console to guest VM additionally.

Again si this the console of the ESX's?

In my scenario, Veeam is installed on a physical server at the destination end. (also the VCB proxy)
fgw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Franz Glatzer

Post by fgw »

singy2002, this might help:

have a look at my post here: http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... =rpc#p8905 regarding configuration of ports used for veeam backup and vss. i assume it's not different when using replication!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Does the console refer to the ESX at the source site or the ESX at the destination site (or both?)
In case of using VSS, Veeam Backup & Replication 4.1 uses NetBIOS (TCP port 139, UDP ports 137, 138), SMB (TCP port 445) and RPC (TCP port 135) protocol connections from the console to guest VM additionally.
Console refers to Veeam Backup Server itself, source/target are your source/target ESX hosts. Also please have a look at the post above from Franz (thank you Franz for assistance) with full explanation.