Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
loelly
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jens Siegmann

Parallel processing not working

Post by loelly »

We're running 7.0.0.871. 1 Veeam Server, 4 proxies on 4 ESXi (EnableSameHostBackupProxy set), some repositories.

Yesterday I had to re-create a job for a big NFS file server, as we faced VBK corruption. Setup is as follows:

1 job w/ 1 virtual machine which has 7 disks on different VMFS, ~8 TB. Proxy selection is set to Automatic. Repository is configured to allow up to 4 parallel tasks. The Veeam proxy which was chosen (running on the same host as the virtual machine) is configured for up to 4 parallel tasks (4 vCPUs). Parallel processing is turned on under "Options - Advanced". Anyways, the initial backup would just hot-add and back up one virtual disk at a given time, which really slowed down processing (>120 MB/s).

Why is this? Am I missing something?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Parallel processing not working

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Maik,

Yes, that's a known behavior for version 7. If you have only one proxy server, then disks from one VM cannot be hot-added to a single proxy concurrently. In order to resolve that you can either upgrade to v8 or use multiple proxy servers for paralleling processing of VM disks in the hot add mode.

Thanks!
loelly
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jens Siegmann

Re: Parallel processing not working

Post by loelly »

Thank you Vitally. I was unaware of that limitation.