Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
zauner.gerald
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Zauner Gerald

Feature Request - Standalone Backup to USB Disk

Post by zauner.gerald »

It is a nice feature that EndpointProtection can make a "ad hoc" Standalone backup the is outside the normal backup chain.
I think it would be an improvement when the user has a possibility to select a destination path where the Standalone Backup is created to.

So the user would be able to use a USB Disk or anything else to make these kind of ad-hoc backups when the computer is offline to the normal repository.

Example: Mobile Useres can make backups without network connections but their default Job is confiured for network backups.
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Re: Feature Request - Standalone Backup to USB Disk

Post by ninjaburn81 » 1 person likes this post

I definitely like this idea. A 'One-Time Backup' button could be added to the interface and/or this could be tied to the other ideas floating around on the board, namely the scripting, multiple jobs, and backup to cloud storage requests.

For instance, a script could be created that fires off at the scheduled time, and if the first job fails due to being unable to connect to the primary respository, the script sees that and fires the 'secondary' job that points to the cloud storage.

FYI: A workaround right now is if the user is a local admin, they could change the backup destination and they will get a full backup created. The software looks for existing full backups and backup chain when a backup is run and pointed to a particular destination. If it does not see that chain, it creates a full backup automatically in the different location. When the destination is switched back, it will see the other full backup and continue to run as if nothing happened (that next incremental would be larger than avg tho).
EvilAdm1n
Lurker
Full Name: Jim Fisher

Post by EvilAdm1n »

The change in destination would probably, out of necessity, require a full backup as opposed to an incremental backup. Nonetheless, I agree, the ability to choose an alternate destination for an unscheduled, full backup would be a useful addition to the current "Backup Now" functionality.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Looks like there should be an option to dump backup files somewhere else (secondary destination) when primary repository is offline? Makes sense to me.
EvilAdm1n
Lurker
Full Name: Jim Fisher

Post by EvilAdm1n »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Looks like there should be an option to dump backup files somewhere else (secondary destination) when primary repository is offline? Makes sense to me.

Agreed. Normally, my backup destination is to a NAS on the LAN. Alternate destinations would be most useful when the NAS isn't available (networking issues, maintenance downtime, etc.). I'd probably also use it when I'm looking to perform a backup onto an external hard drive in order to take it offsite. However, for that I could also just manually copy the backup files from the NAS.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

A workaround right now is if the user is a local admin, they could change the backup destination and they will get a full backup created. The software looks for existing full backups and backup chain when a backup is run and pointed to a particular destination. If it does not see that chain, it creates a full backup automatically in the different location. When the destination is switched back, it will see the other full backup and continue to run as if nothing happened (that next incremental would be larger than avg tho).
Good one.

… and yes, this request makes sense - count as noted.