Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Zebbelin
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Request: Backup only when Network Speed to NAS is hi

Post by Zebbelin »

When using Endpoint Backup to a NAS it would be great if the backup would only start if the Network Speed to the NAS is high enough.

My issue is, when I´m not in the office and only connected over VPN or a relative slow WAN connection, a backup should not start.

Settings to configure could be: Backup only if:

Bandwidth greater than x Mbit/s
And/or
Latency lower than x milliseconds
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request: Backup only when Network Speed to NAS i

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for your feedback and the use case, though one thing is still not clear. Do you still want to make a backup even over the WAN link or you would prefer to have an option do backups on LAN network only and probably do backups locally and then sync all the files to the NAS box?
Zebbelin
Novice

Post by Zebbelin »

I would like to have a LAN network only option. If I´m on WAN or VPN it should not create a backup to the NAS.

However if it´s possible to create a local backup while on a slow-link network and sync the data back when on LAN again would be fantastic!
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Another option is create a Backup vLAN that is only reachable when on the network internally.

Rules can be set up on your firewall/router to block it from being accessible via external access.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Guys,
I wonder if the ‘At storage attach’ event will work for this case in GA. It will support the shared folder connection as an event for starting the backup and with the correct set of ‘backup no more often than’ option it should do the trick.
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

d.popov wrote:Guys,
I wonder if the ‘At storage attach’ event will work for this case in GA.
Probably not in this case? The 'at storage attach' would fire when it sees a connection to the path is established correct? Unless it has a "floor" for connection speed, then it will connect regardless if the connection is a 10GB or 128KB per sec.

Question at hand is making sure their is a 'min speed' requirement so the backup doesn't take eons...theoretically. (However as long as a full backup is not performed, the backup should not take that long unless they are running it on dial-up!)
Zebbelin
Novice

Post by Zebbelin »

Another option would be: Backup only if computer is in "192.168.10.0/24" subnet