Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Migrating from Veeam 7 to Veeam 8

Post by bsoosay »

I am currently using Veeam 7.

I built a new server, installed Veeam 8, installed SQL 2008 and pointed Veeam 8 to the SQL Database.

I then performed a restore of the configuration backup. I selected "Migrate".

Now I have all the proxies, repositories and the backup jobs on my new Veeam 8 server, BUT i can't see all the previous successful backups that were performed on Veeam 7.

So if I run any backup on Veeam 8 now, it starts doing a full, and doesn't take into consideration the previous backups.

The repositories are the same ones used on Veeam 7.

I read the below from one of the threads here. How do I import configuration? From the above what Have I done wrong?

1) Perform configuration backup on your existing VB&R server.
2) Install VB&R on your new server from the scratch.
3) Import configuration.
4) Detach the iSCSI Initiator LUN and attach them to the new Server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Migrating from Veeam 7 to Veeam 8

Post by Vitaliy S. »

As far as I remember job history (sessions) is not transferred via this tool, however you backup jobs should continue running incremental passes. How did you detect it is running full backup and not incremental?
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Post by bsoosay »

Hi Vitality....

I managed to resolve this issue. When I restored the .bco file....there were two options to choose from. We should choose Restore, instead of Migrate.

But before that, the same database name that was used on Veeam 7, was also used on Veeam 8.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct. Migrate option does not rescan all repositories to find new restore points, as this option assumes you're restoring the latest config file, while with the restore option backup server starts the rescan process right after configuration file import. We have a detailed description of these two option in the restore wizard. Thanks!