Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cjack03
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Christopher

Large restore issue

Post by cjack03 »

Hi everyone,

I have an issue where i need to restore ~800Gb of data from a backup, however the restore take more than 24 hours and therefore the backup file is locked and my next backup fails.

How would you approach this problem?

Make a backup copy job and restore from there? My full backup size is 8TB so i guess I should make a manual copy of the file to seed the backup copy? I use reverse incremental and the resotre point i need is back 7 points from the most recent backup, should i copy the incrementals as well and configure the backup copy job to keep 8 points?

Thanks for all your advice!!!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Large restore issue

Post by veremin »

If you need to restore the data from 8 day old restore point now, then, the backup copy job approach will not do the trick, as it will synthetically create only one restore point containing the latest state. You can copy .vbk, as well, as dependent increments, import the copied chain to a backup console, and perform restore.

By the way, what type of data you need to restore? Full VM, files, etc.? And what type of restore you're using?

Thanks.
cjack03
Enthusiast

Post by cjack03 »

Thanks Vladimir!!

The data is files from a file server, I was going to use guest files (windows) for the restore, do you think a different approach would be better? There are approx 65k files.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

For the purpose of sheer testing you can start WinFLR, go to C:\VeeamFLR folder, try to copy files, using Windows Explorer, and see whether it gives you better performance. Or start VM via Instant VM Recovery, attach required virtual disk to desired VM and copy files from there. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Christopher, is repository you're restoring from located in the same site with Veeam B&R server?
cjack03
Enthusiast

Post by cjack03 »

Foggy, yes the repository and Veeam B&R server are all on the same site. I'm currently copying the full backup file and incrementals to a new repository location and will update here once I have got the restore stage.

Many thanks all!