Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Robert Schieb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Schieb

Feature Request - Postpone backup start

Post by Robert Schieb »

Hi,
it would be a nice feature to see an option to postpone a backup for some minutes.
If there is a backup scheduled and it would start during an installation process of some updates or something else if just initiated, it is probably not the right time for a backup.
For example a small popup can slide up from the taskbar in the lower right corner to notify the user that the backup process will start in a few minutes.
It could also look like the one from Outlook 2013 on Windows 8 when a new mail arrives (the slide in popup in the upper right corner)
This popup should have the option to tipe in a delay in minutes or select one from a dropdown menu or the Veeam console could come up with some options.
That would be nice to have.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Postpone backup start

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Robert,

We have a mechanism that puts the backup into the background when you need the resources on your machine. And in case of an unexpected reboot (which I tested heavily, with a lot of different scenario's) the backup will fail but always succeeded on the next run.

We like to keep notifications low-profile and as less as possible. We only want to show a popup or notification when it is really necessary otherwise people will click it away...

I do understand your concern when installing things or updates, that it is better to postpone the backup for a period of time (maybe after reboot?) so I will take this with me for discussion on next versions

Thanks

Mike
Robert Schieb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Schieb

Post by Robert Schieb »

Hi Mike,

i've already thought about that, yes maybe it is an option.
Good to know, i hope it´s going to be an option in a future version of Veeam.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Robert,

It will certainly go to the discussion table ;-)

Cheers

Mike