Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Robert Schieb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Schieb

Feature Request - Retention wizard

Post by Robert Schieb »

Hi,

it would be nice to see some kind of retention wizard.
It should show informations about you backup destination and retention, some kind of "ok thats your destination, ok that's your backup selection, then you can keep x backups when u use the whole drive" or "you need x gb more to store x copies"

A possibility to set a value to ensure that some percent or x gb have to stay free on destination would be nice too.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Retention wizard

Post by Mike Resseler »

Robert,

For us that is almost impossible to foresee. Our first backup is a full backup, and unless you take a separate full backup yourself, all the others are incremental ones. Depending on your churn, this will make the incrementals larger or smaller. I have around the same size of backup files with my machine as the total size (it is a little bit less) with 14 restore points and I consider myself a rather heavy user with quite some churn.

I have heard from others that they don't come close to the same size and I have seen one user that goes above it, but he works with media files every day... So we cannot foresee it very well.

I like your suggestion on the "keep percent free" on the destination. Would that count for every destination that you use or are you only thinking about local drives, USB...

Let me know

Thanks

Mike
Robert Schieb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Schieb

Post by Robert Schieb »

Yes you are right, but some kind of trend could work. Mybe it´s not a good idea ^^

The "keep free space" is important on every target, i think.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
As Mike said – it’s hard to predict. We can’t even be sure on an actual full backup size due the compression and deduplication of the backup, but we have certain checks during repository selection, pretty basic - just to make sure user will be able to start a backup with the selected destination. Nevertheless, there is a built-in notification system, which checks if the size of your repository space is getting low and notify a user with a yellow warning in the chart.
A possibility to set a value to ensure that some percent or x gb have to stay free on destination would be nice too.
Good one.