Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Luke900
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Luke

Best practices for Drive Rotation / Job settings

Post by Luke900 »

Hi All,

I've been using Veeam 7 for the past year and have just upgraded to Veeam 8.
Generally a great experience and really liking some of the improvements in V8 especially the built in encryption.

The one thing I have difficulty with is coming up with the best jobs and settings for a particular scenario in V8.
I'm using 2TB USB3 drives to rotate backup's offsite. There are 5 separate drives for Mon-Fri with only one drive connected to the server each day.
The drives are stored off-site and must be encrypted.

There are many different ways this could work but I'm not sure what the best practice is.
With v7 I was running a backup job to a local disk and then using the Cloud Backup program to encrypt and copy the files to the USB drives with a powershell script to cleanup the drives.

With v8 it seems like a copy job would be the best option considering that encryption is now built in.
Are the RegKeys still required in v8 with rotated media using Copy Job? (ForceCreateMissingVBK=1, ForceDeleteBackupFiles=3)

Specific questions about how to set this up best are:
1) For the backup job, what Backup Mode should I use, Reverse incremental or Incremental?
2) Should I create Synthetic backup's or Active Full Backups periodically?
3) Should encryption be enabled in the backup job, the copy job or both?
4) If I also add backup to the cloud to the mix is this just a matter of adding a second Copy Job? Does this affect the answers to Qs 1-3? If so should the cloud backup have it's own backup job as well as a copy job?
5) For backup to the cloud how do the choices above effect the amount of data transferred per day and the total amaount of data stored in the cloud and what are the best practices around this.
6) Finally, what are people using to store the local backup? I'm currently using some spare RAID10 disk space on the VM host. An active full is taking 500GB but I'll be adding more VMs soon so won't have space for larger backups on this disk.

I think this type of scenario is very common amongst Veeam users, so any feedback on what people are doing or guidance from the Veeam team would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Luke
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Best practices for Drive Rotation / Job settings

Post by Gostev »

Luke900 wrote:I think this type of scenario is very common amongst Veeam users
Hi, Luke - welcome to our forums. You are spot on, this is extremely common scenario - so kindly please search the forums, as all of your questions have already been asked by other users & answered by Veeam staff before.

Unfortunately, I cannot merge your posts into any existing discussion, because you have included multiple unrelated questions. So, I am locking this thread as per forum rules, to prevent duplicate discussions. Feel free to post follow up questions in the existing/separate topics, in case the existing discussions do not answer your question fully.

Thanks!