Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ace T
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Amit Panchal

3rd party backup agent conflict with Veeam ?

Post by Ace T »

We have a scenario where we are currently backing up servers in VMWare via a 3rd party agent offsite (file level backup). If this backup is running at the same time as Veeam's Backup Technology (block-based) will this cause issues with backup times or processing ?

Does it cause Veeam to think there are changes made to files even thought files have not changed as we think our 3rd party agent must be modifying the attributes of the file somehow?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: 3rd party backup agent conflict with Veeam ?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Amit,

I'm not quite sure how your 3rd party backup product works and may influence Veeam backup and vica versa. I recommend you to use separate backup windows for both solutions, so you don't face any possible failures or overlappings. If the 3rd party agent modifies files, thus meaning changes the blocks, we will transfer all the changed blocks to your destination storage only. With CBT enabled at your backup job settings I don't think it will be a huge concern... well not for me. :wink:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Amit, we had a number of reports before when VSS agents from couple of different backup vendors were preventing Veeam VSS from performing system freeze. Removing the agents always helped. This is the only issue that comes to my mind, other than that OUR product should not experience any issues due to 3rd backup solutions present. Thanks!
Ace T
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Amit Panchal

Post by Ace T »

Thanks Gostev...we are stopping the agent today and testing it out today to see how it affects Veeam backups.