Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Unable to map backup: Backup copy supports forward inc only

Post by kjstech »

Hello,

I have a backup copy job that is working for one of my jobs, so I want to create another backup copy job for another job I have. Both the original jobs are setup the same exact way. The only difference is that Veeam will not let me create this new backup copy job. It says "Unable to map backup: Backup Copy supports forward incremental backup chains only."

I preseeded the secondary target with exactly the same files that is in the primary target. I then did a rescan on the backup repository in veeam and then attempted to create this job.

See image, source on left, destination on right.

Original job properties
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Unable to map backup: Backup copy supports forward inc o

Post by foggy »

Keith, please look at the original backup properties in Veeam B&R console - do they contain just those two points that we can see on the picture? Any chance some of the older restore points were manually removed some time in the past, for example? Or did this job probably have transforms enabled previously?

As a worakround, you can create temporary local backup copy job from this backup job and then use its new backup chain for seeding.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

I do not see anything that stands out. What I can tell you about this job history is that normally synthetic fulls run every Saturday. We ran out of space this past sunday. I had to delete the oldest full backup (about 1.8tb). The next night the backup failed because it couldn't find the file. So I manually ran an active full and deleted all the other backups. Last night was the first incremental (sucessfully) after the active full.

So yes this job has a little bit of history to it. Maybe that is the reason?

I create a new backup copy job and instead of do map backup, I just pick the repository and it is copying everything from the source again to a new folder, which I already did this copy via windows UI yesterday which took 16 hours. So I guess there's no way to "seed" this backup using what is already copied?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

kjstech wrote:So yes this job has a little bit of history to it. Maybe that is the reason?
It definitely is.
kjstech wrote:I create a new backup copy job and instead of do map backup, I just pick the repository and it is copying everything from the source again to a new folder, which I already did this copy via windows UI yesterday which took 16 hours. So I guess there's no way to "seed" this backup using what is already copied?
Correct, you need a fresh backup chain to be able to map the job to it.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

This worked, thank you.