Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Joebocop
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Effect Of Defrag

Post by Joebocop »

In the forever-incremental model, if I defrag my HDD one day, will an enormous backup job be invoked that night, seeing as blocks have been moved all over the drive?

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Effect Of Defrag

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
seeing as blocks have been moved all over the drive
Due the nature of change block tracking yes - such incremental backup size will be close to the size of the full backup, but I believe this happens rarely, right?
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

...if ever, at least manually?

With Windows 7 and (done much better in) 8, defragging is done automatically. And if you are using a SSD, it is never required. But still, it's an interesting question. :-)

I know what I'm testing Monday! (Left my USB drive at work!)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Adam,
Keep it up! I hope you’ll share the results :wink:
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 » 1 person likes this post

Did tests on two PCs, both running SATA spinning drives, plus I looked at when the disk defrag runs and compared the incremental that occurs before vs after the incremental that happens after.

Average increase of data read increases is 45%, average increase in restore size is 50%, compared to the previous INCREMENTAL. That is key because that is what the normal backups will be. Total time difference was negligible however.

Final Conclusions:
1) Disk Defrag runs automatically anyway on Win7 and later, so for the most part your system will almost never suffer from serious defrag.
2) The effect of defrag is negligable on the VEB backup time.
3) Backup size does increase, but since it is an incremental, this will only noticeably affect backups running on systems that have large amounts of data changing regularly, such as a file server or a system being used to batch change files (media developers).
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

P.S. Forgive the horrendous grammar, it was a crazy day and I kept jumping in and out of writing that post...ugh! ;)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Adam,
Awesome! The results are even better than I expected, so kudos for checking – QA will be happy to hear.
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

You're welcome! :)
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Post by TommyB »

I always turn defrag off on all my Windows PCs... last time I defragmented a drive was around 1994 - at that times, with FAT file systems it often made quite a difference, especially with small drives and flat file database tables like dBase-III... but with NTFS I never saw a big effect, so I decided to take the additional wear away from the hard drives.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thomas,Agree.

For the past 5 years I’ve started defrag manually only once. I aslo checked the default auto defrag settings on my PC ( only after Adam’s post :) ) - it is set to weekly, and yes SSD is excluded by default.

By the way if somebody is looking guidance on how to enable auto defrag (or at least check it is enabled) – here it goes: Schedule Disk Defragmenter to run regularly