Post by BBF-Patrick »

Hi,

I'm using Veeam 7.0 and doing
- Daily backup on disk (NAS1)
- Daily backup copy on disk (NAS2)
- Weekly backup on tape
- Monthly backup on tape
- Yearly backup on tape

Soon I'll replace our old Servers and will buy new ones without a tape drive. So I'm looking for a replacement for my tape backups. Therefor I'm thinking of attaching some USB-Disks to my NAS and I already did some tests which worked mostly fine.

I created a Backup Copy Job for copying my backup jobs to the USB disk. But Veeam doesn't have a Option for Copy Jobs only on certain days like on mondays for my wekly backup. As soon as a new restore Point appears the copy Job will run.

Is there any way to handle this?

Best regards
Patrick
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Weekly/Monthly/Yearly Backup to USB-Disk attached to NAS

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Patrick,

In general you can define "copy every" interval in accordance with your source job or use backup window on the "schedule" step to get a desired schedule.
However, in your case GFS retention looks like the best way to achieve the goal. On the "Target" step check "Keep the following restore points for archival purposes", click "Schedule" button and choose which restore points to keep.

Is that what you were looking for? Thanks!
BBF-Patrick
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Simmen

Post by BBF-Patrick »

Hi Shestakov,

thanks for your reply and hints.

Wiht the "copy every" interval I can only handle the weekly backups. I can't handle the monthly backups as there is only the option "day" available. And as all months have different numbers of days this won't work.

I think the GFS Retention won't help me too as I want to store the monthly and yearly backups off site and each of them on a different USB disk.

Best regards
Patrick
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Patrick,
BBF-Patrick wrote:I think the GFS Retention won't help me too as I want to store the monthly and yearly backups off site and each of them on a different USB disk.
I would suggest to create 2 backup copy jobs with same source but different targets, one for monthly backups, another for yearly ones. Thanks.
BBF-Patrick
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Simmen

Post by BBF-Patrick »

Hi Shestakov,

thanks again. I'll think about that and consider too creating additional cloned backup jobs for weekly and monthly backups which will run on the desired days. This way their copy job will only run after they ran and their backup has changed.

Best regards
Patrick
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Patrick.
Creating two backup copy jobs with one source backup job is less resource consuming than several backup jobs + 1 backup copy.
But it`s up to you, both options should work. Thanks.