Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Do you back up your enterprise manager?

Post by mschlott »

I think I made a mistake in my design. I installed my enterprise manager on my backup server which is physical. I backup my veeam configuration to a file, then to tape, so I have the backup server covered but I have not been backing up files or databases related to my enterprise manager at all.

If I were to completely loose my backup server and needed to re-install, can I get back to my current state having only my backup configuration on tape, and backups that are copied to tape? I know I can get my server back with all of my backup configuration, but is data maintained about historical backups? What about file level indexes for enterprise manager? Are those gone without the DB or VBRCatalog?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Do you back up your enterprise manager?

Post by foggy »

mschlott wrote:I know I can get my server back with all of my backup configuration, but is data maintained about historical backups? What about file level indexes for enterprise manager? Are those gone without the DB or VBRCatalog?
No, backup history and guest OS index data are not a part of Veeam B&R configuration backup. So you might consider backing up Enterprise Manager DB and VBRCatalog separately.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can use native SQL tools (Management Studio) in order to backup EM database and copy resulting files, as well as, files stored in VBRCatalog folder via file copy job.

This way, both EM database and backup indexes will be protected.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

mschlott wrote:I think I made a mistake in my design. I installed my enterprise manager on my backup server which is physical.
Indeed, it would be better to install in in a VM, and protect just like any other VM.
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Post by mschlott »

Thanks for the confirmation Gostev. If the EM server is on a VM and seperate from the Backup server, does it depend on the existance of that backup server or any files on it. If I were to wipe out my backup server and re-install from scratch and add it to my enterprise manager configuration, would and empty VBRCatalog folder cause any problems?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Since EM replicates index data from managed backup servers and stores it locally, you should be still able to search for guest OS files and then import the required backup to the new backup server to recover the particular file. Though I personally haven't tested this scenario.

No "problems" for the Enterprise Manager itself.
b.vanhaastrecht
Service Provider
Liked: 154 times
Full Name: Bastiaan van Haastrecht

[MERGED] : Migrate VBRCatalog to different server

Post by b.vanhaastrecht »

Hi,

I havent found any other post regarding migration of the VBRCatalog folder to a different server. We are in the proces of migrating the B&R management layer and Enterprise Manager to a different server. There is a method for B&R to migrate the config, but what about the VBRCatalog, can it be simply copied to the new servers VBRCatalog folder? Any other steps?

Thanks in advance, regards,
Bastiaan
======================================================
Veeam ProPartner, Service Provider and a proud Veeam Legend
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can migrate EM database along with VBRCatalog folder; should be sufficient. Thanks.