Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sram
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: S R

Copy VMs to another *NIX box without the use of an agent?

Post by sram »

Hi all

First post so forgive me if what I'm trying to achieve isn't even possible. I did search the forums and knowledgebase but I couldn't find an answer.
I have a client with Veeam Backup & FastSCP 4.1.1 and I am trying to capture a complete copy of their VMs which can then be sent offsite via their normal offsite backup routine. I think I can achieve this in one of two ways:

1) Backup the VMs to a local folder and then have the normal backup software capture that folder
or
2) Use the built-in SCP functionality to squirt the backed up VMs directly to the Mac backup server

I have managed to get Veeam to connect to the Mac server via ssh by enabling the use of tunnelled clear text passwords as described in this article:
http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/kb1512
However, after supplying the target's IP address and clicking on next, I am presented with the 'specify SSH connection settings' page. It states that 'service console connection to esx server is optional' but the tickbox that controls this feature is greyed out and ticked. When I go through the wizard and then attempt a backup it fails almost immediately, presumably because the target Mac is not linux and is not capable of running the Veeam agent? Everything I've read indicates that the tickbox should be able to be unticked, so that's why I'm turning to this forum for help!

If what I'm trying to achieve isn't even possible then please put me out of my misery :-)

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Copy VMs to another *NIX box without the use of an agent

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

MAC servers are not supported as backup targets (perl and SSH are mandatory), so you should proceed with option 1.

Thank you!
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Sibin Sam

Re: Copy VMs to another *NIX box without the use of an agent

Post by sibinsam »

Does the same still apply for MAC OS?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson