Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Baptiste
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Multiples questions regarding VEEAM

Post by Baptiste »

Hello everybody,

i have some question regarding VEEAM and i cannot find the answer online :

1) When you are doing a reverse incremental or a forever forward incremental and check the "remove deleted VMs data from backup after 14 days", when does the .vbk is compacted ? I belived it's never compacted in reverse but how about forever forward ? Does an active full backup is mandatory ?

2) When you are changing dedup in a working job, when is it apply ? Does it affect previous backup chain ? ( it changed since v8 )

3 ) When you are changing compression level in a working job, when is it apply ? Does it affect previous backup chain ? ( it changed since v8 )

Thanks for your help
Baptiste
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Re: Multiples questions regarding VEEAM

Post by Baptiste »

Nobody knows :( ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Most of those questions have been covered already on these forums. So, kindly, check the previous answers, and ask for additional clarification, if it's still required. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Baptiste wrote:1) When you are doing a reverse incremental or a forever forward incremental and check the "remove deleted VMs data from backup after 14 days", when does the .vbk is compacted ? I belived it's never compacted in reverse but how about forever forward ? Does an active full backup is mandatory ?
I believe the behavior is the same: after the specified amount of days, blocks belonging to the deleted VMs in VBK are marked as free and then can be re-used by the new data. To reclaim the space, you need to perform an active full.

See this user guide section for other two questions.