Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Feature Request: Make use of Ent. Backup Proxies

Post by k00laid »

I know this isn't available while we're in beta but I am wondering how backups will be handled once you reach a gold release and Veeam Backup Repositories are supported as a storage option. Will VEB utilize backup proxies or will processing be done entirely on the host? Where my line of thinking is going is repository is in location A, pocket of users is location B. It would be nice to be able to centrally make use of a WAN accelerator in that site to keep the bandwidth usage down and also be able to centrally manage the traffic throttling as backups go site to site. Maybe be able at the enterprise level specify that endpoint backup try to find a backup proxy in its local subnet and if not available fail back to direct transport.
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Make use of Ent. Backup Proxies

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jim,
Good question. Veeam Endpoint Backup handles the proxy role by itself and once VBR is selected as a destination for backups all the throttling rules should be applied to the Endpoints connections. Since the backup copy job is going to be supported for Endpoint backups, would it work for your case (I mean, you could use backup copy plus WAN acceleration for transferring backups between sites)?