Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Retention with Guest File Indexing

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

I just have a question regarding Guest File Indexing and retention with Enterprise Edition of Veeam. As I understood Veeam keeps catalogs for all restore points on disk (also with Standard Edition) and in addition to that for a period of time which I can configure in the configuration of Enterprise Manager (just Enterprise Edition).

Let’s say I configure Veeam to keep a catalog for 1 year and I have 90 restore points on disk and I move a backup on last Sunday in month to tape.

So I need the catalog for the last 90 restore points and for every last Sunday on disk, but what happens when I tell Veeam to have a retention of 1 year for the catalog? I don’t need the catalog for restore points which are not available anymore?

Another question:
What happens when I use forever incremental, how many full catalogs are stored on disk?

Thank you and kind regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Retention with Guest File Indexing

Post by foggy »

redhorse wrote:So I need the catalog for the last 90 restore points and for every last Sunday on disk, but what happens when I tell Veeam to have a retention of 1 year for the catalog? I don’t need the catalog for restore points which are not available anymore?
Indexes for the deleted restore points within a year will still be kept with Enterprise version. However, its is safe to delete them manually in case you don’t need them any longer and concerned about the space they occupy. Also you can enable compression on the volume where indexes are stored.
redhorse wrote:What happens when I use forever incremental, how many full catalogs are stored on disk?
Size of the stored indexes does not depend on whether the corresponding restore point is full or incremental.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Re: Retention with Guest File Indexing

Post by redhorse »

Thanks, it's clear now!