Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mwirz
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Wirz

Bug: Copy Job procceses wrong Data

Post by mwirz »

Hi there

i got the problem that my copy job does process vm's from a wrong backup storage. my situation:

Running vCloud director and have configures a vAPP Named "LAN" with 100 Servers within. 50 Server are Terminal-Server, 50 Servers are Application Servers.

I have two backup jobs for Terminal-Servers (running once a week) and for Application-Servers (running once a day). Backups are going to the same Repo-Server within different directories due to separated jobs.
This runs very well so far.

Now i got two copy Jobs to send my backups to a second datacenter. First job, processing application-servers from back-infrastructure is running ok and does copy the correct vm's.
The second job should processes my terminal-server backups from the backup-infrastructure as well. But this job does copy the application-servers again instead of the terminal-servers. All settings are verified a lot of times and 100% correct.

i believe this behavior occurs because both jobs have the same name of the "vApp LAN" and veeam just processes the first backup-infrastructure that matches this name.

A workaround woul be to split the vApp into two vApps with different names but this means a lot of work and downtime.

does someone now a workaround and can someone confirm this behavior?

best regards
Mike
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Bug: Copy Job procceses wrong Data

Post by veremin »

How the source is selected (from backups, jobs, infrastructure)? What happens if you select different option? Will it make any difference? Thanks.
mwirz
Service Provider

Post by mwirz »

the source is "from backups" at the moment. i can test "from infrastructure" this evening if the users are offline
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, try to select VMs to copy specifically and let us know about the results of your findings. Thanks.
mwirz
Service Provider

Post by mwirz »

it's not possible to verify this solution: in a copy job i can only choose a vAPP but not VM's directly. So if i choose my vAPP it takes all VM's, the Application-Servers as well as the Terminal-Servers. This differences to the method of "from backups" where i can choose a repository where only the Terminal-Servers have been backuped.

Update: i tried a workaround by taking the whole vApp and making an exlusion with all Application-Servers. It lists the correct "Total Size" of the Job but if i start the copy jobs it just does not anything. it starts and end successfully without copy any vm... log:

29.01.2015 17:45:40 :: Copying restore point 28.01.2015 21:06:28 from backup repository UCSP4net01
29.01.2015 17:45:43 :: VApp processing started at 29.01.2015 17:45:43
29.01.2015 17:45:43 :: VApp size: 1.9 TB
29.01.2015 17:45:45 :: Waiting for all VM backup tasks to complete to finish vApp backup.
29.01.2015 17:45:47 :: Finalizing
29.01.2015 17:45:49 :: Processing finished at 29.01.2015 17:45:49

Next try was to exclude all Applications-Servers except one of them. Result: Veeam processes the Application-Server but ignores all Terminal-Servers.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Mike, I would recommend asking support to confirm this behavior.
mwirz
Service Provider

Post by mwirz »

Thank you for your answers - i have opend a ticket and will post result and ID as soon as confirmed/solved.