Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rudicd
Lurker
Liked: never

Feature Request - Remove restore points

Post by rudicd »

Hello,

We backup to a volume that is very limited in space and when a job fails, it has to clean itself up (remove old restore points) and then retry the job.

I would like to request a feature that allows Veeam to remove the past restore points on a VM by VM basis instead of at the end or failure of the job.

Thanks in advance!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request - Remove restore points

Post by foggy »

Why don't you want to adjust the retention so that the job doesn't fail at all?

Btw, don't you use built-in space notifications that allow to track free space on the repository? To say nothing of Veeam ONE that allows to monitor current space consumption and estimate the date when you run out of free space on repository...
rudicd
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by rudicd »

We are only keeping one copy of the VM and there's over 100GB free on the volume, but because the job does not reclaim the space until after the job completes or fails, we run out of space.... hence the request to delete the old restore points after it finishes backing up a VM.

I have resorted to breaking out the job into multiple backup jobs (each with a subset of the total number of VMs), but I would prefer to have all VMs in one backup job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Retention policy is applied at the end of the backup job. In this case you always have the specified amount of good restore points available. Thanks for sharing your use case!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You could run a pre-job script that cleans up the repository prior running the job.