Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
pslijkerman
Influencer
Liked: never

Monitor VMWare on IBM servers

Post by pslijkerman »

Hi,

I was looking for some info about Nworks Microsoft SCOM MP and monitoring Vmware on IBM servers but i can't find any info.
So i assume it's not possible? Is there any info on when Nworks can monitor Vmware on IBM servers?

Please let me know...
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Re: Monitor VMWare on IBM servers

Post by vBPav »

Hi there!

With regards to monitoring the VI (metrics and alerting on Clusters, Hosts, Resource Pools, VMs, etc.) we definately support ESX/ESXi running on IBM Servers! We support any hardware platform that is supported by VMware (HCL).

With regards to hardware monitoring, we support any hardware vendor that supports the CIM/SMASH API. This includes IBM. So, how this works is that the hardware vendor writes hardware sensor data out to CIM/SMASH. VMware then collects this data and exposes it via their VI-API. We then come in and grab the data that is exposed in the VI-API and there you go! A completely agentless methods for monitoring your Host hardware!

We of course support the old fashion way of monitoring server hardware as well. This is via hardware management agents like Dell Openmanage, HP Sims, and IBM Director that write events out to the ESX SYSLOG. Once SYSLOG events are forwarded to our collectors we provide out-of-the-box rules setup for both Dell Openmanage and HP SIMs. Although we do not have out-of-the-box rules for IBM Director, you can always create your own within SCOM! This is completely customizable! But, please remember you do not have to rely on Hardware Management Agents in order to see the health of your system hardware. Check with your hardware vendor on how they support CIM/SMASH.

-Brian
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com