Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
flood
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Feature Request - Automatically run missed backup

Post by flood »

I’ve been testing out Veeam Endpoint Backup and I think it’s great. Absolutely GREAT!

A feature request I’d like to see is the following (this may have already been asked for, but if not…here goes):
I think that if the scheduled time of a backup was missed due to the computer being turned off, the backup should start once the computer is powered on. I know the start time can be skewed a certain amount of time (15 minutes I think) but If I have my backup scheduled for let’s say 6:00PM, but I don’t power on my computer until 8:00PM or 10:00PM, I’d like a backup to kick off automatically right away as soon as the computer is up and running (or after login).

Keep up the great work!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Automatically run missed backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Yes, we did had this request already and we understand your concern. However, you can actually solve this already today by playing with the schedule options. As an example I'll use myself :-). I'm a road warrior and switch time zones way too much :-)... I have a fixed time schedule to backup but I miss it quite often. What I did is a combination of a fixed schedule, and a trigger event. Besides the time, I also use at storage attach and used the "Back up no more often than every x hour". So if I miss my schedule, I start my pc and attach my USB disk (this is in my case...), it will figure out that my previous backup was longer than x hour ago and starts the backup.

Makes sense?

Mike
flood
Novice

Post by flood »

Hi…thanks for the response.
That’s sounds like a great workaround. It would work great if I weren’t using a network share for my backup location :)

But then again…would the same scenario work for network storage vs USB storage? Kinda like “when you see the network storage come online (post boot up), initiate a backup.

Hmmm…I’ll have to try this later on tonight. I’ll report my findings.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

It would work great if I weren’t using a network share for my backup location....would the same scenario work for network storage vs USB storage? Kinda like “when you see the network storage come online (post boot up), initiate a backup.
It will be supported in GA :wink: In the current BETA the said functionality is limited to the USB drives only.
flood
Novice

Post by flood »

Yup. Confirmed.
At boot up, a backup won't start automatically if the "at backup storage attach" option is selected and the backup destination is a network share.

I just booted my computer up after having left it off for 2 days and the Veeam backup agent just sits there.
Good to hear that this functionality will be in the official release. Great job guys! Keep up the great work.

By the way, this solution is the last piece of the puzzle for me when it comes to decommissioning my Windows Server Essentials server. Client backups are the last thing that solution was providing for me. Veeam Endpoint Backup seems to handle client backups just the same for me, because really...who wants to manage Active Directory at home just to backup a few home computers. I do that all day at work :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi flood,
Thanks – glad to hear you enjoy the BETA. By the way, do you feel any functionality missing in the Endpoint Backup, comparing to Windows Server Essentials built in backup ?
flood
Novice

Post by flood » 1 person likes this post

If we’re talking solely about client backups I think Veeam Endpoint Backup covers all the bases of the features I was using in Windows Server Essentials:

Scheduled client backups – Check
Bare metal restore – Check
Individual file restore-ability – Check

These features in Windows Server Essentials have saved my bacon a few times over the years. In testing Veeam Endpoint Backup over the past few weeks, it appears to be a direct replacement for me.
Brilliant job!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Awesome! Thank you for the heads up!
cloggy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dick Hoogendoorn

Post by cloggy »

I'm running the latest version (1.1.2.119) on Windows10 Pro X64 but after I restarted the system from Hibernate this morning, the automatic backup did not take place (and now, at 14:03 hrs, it still did not). My schedule settings are:
1) Daily at 09:15 AM (note that I restarted the PC from Hibernate at 09:55 AM this morning)
2) At the following events:
When backup target is connected
Backup no more than every 1 day.

After I disconnected and reconnected my Network share, it will start the backup. How can I get VEB to startup the next morning automatically when I restart my PC from Hibernate?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

cloggy,

There is no such feature in the existing version, that’s why when the scheduled backup was missed it will await for the next scheduled time to start. However, we are going to enhance the backup logic in the upcoming releases.
cloggy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dick Hoogendoorn

Post by cloggy »

So, to be sure not to miss a backup, I'd better schedule a backup using Task Scheduler where I can select to run a task as soon as a scheduled start is missed.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Sounds reasonable.