Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DrEnergy
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: DrEnergy

Copy job schedule questions

Post by DrEnergy »

Hi Guys,

After struggling for over a week with the Copy job schedule i cannot figure out whats wrong. I want to use this job to copy full vm backups to an RDX disk attached to a Synology NAS. I have enabled the registry keys for rotated media, and used the other registry key to delete the contents of the RDX repository. This all is working great except for the following.

Everyday at 6:00 the back-up of 4 VM's split over 2 VM backup jobs are started. I want to schedule the copy job to begin copying at midnight till its done. After its done it has to send an e-mail that the job is finished. Then the next day the same, and the same and so on.

I use reversed incremental backup jobs, so the latest restore point is always a full.

I have created the copy with the settings: Copy every 1 day starting at 22:00, and it can run all day and night in the scheduled and 2 restore point to keep. But the job is starting as soon as there are new backup in the primary repository. And then at 22:00 there is an error and it will begin again. After the error we receive an e-mail, after the second copy is done we don;t receive any e-mail anymore.

Veeam version: 8.0.0.817

Can you help me with this one?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Copy job schedule questions

Post by foggy »

DrEnergy wrote:But the job is starting as soon as there are new backup in the primary repository.
Stefan, this is exactly how backup copy is supposed to work. Just schedule the start of the synchronization interval at the same time your original backup job starts and it will sit and wait for the new restore points to be available, then start copying it.
DrEnergy
Service Provider

Post by DrEnergy »

Hi Foggy,

Wow, is it that simple! So I just have to change the start time of the copy job to the start time of the back-up job? And then it will wait for the current back-up task.

Do you also know why i don't receive an e-mail when the copy job (incremental) is finished?

Thanks alot!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What notification settings do you have for the backup copy job and globally?
DrEnergy
Service Provider

Post by DrEnergy »

For the notification settings i have use global notification settings. And the global settings are:

Notify on succes (which is why i dont understand why i'm not receiving any e-mail after the incremental job finished, because when i look in the Last 24 hours log section i see a copy task success)
Notify on warning (which is why i receive the first e-mail about stopping the current copy job which started right after the repository was updated with new restore point. and the starttime which was scheduled in the copy job).
Notify on failure

EDIT:
Sorry wrong information, i don't see the success in the Last 24 hour events, i only see the incremental success when i click on the job itself in back copy jobs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, then logs review is required, so please open a case with technical support. Basically, with these settings you should get notifications on any event and also see the corresponding record in the history.
DrEnergy
Service Provider

Post by DrEnergy »

Hi Foggy,

Thank you very much for you quick response! Tonight the backup job and the backup copy job will start at the same time.

So tomorrow i will find out if that worked out for me.

I will open a support case for the notification error.

Thank you very much :)
DrEnergy
Service Provider

Post by DrEnergy »

Hi, yesterday i changed the start time of the backup copy job to the same time as my backup job.

What happens now is that the backup job starts, and the copy job. But the copy job is not waiting for the new backup files but is processing the back-up file from yesterday?

The copy job is set to 2 restore point, or should i change this into 1? Hmm it can't be lower then 2.

My goal is to backup (reversed incremental) the VM's and then right after the back-up job is completed the copy job must kick in and copy the back-up to RDX. And the job's run everyday.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Backup copy starts processing the latest available VM state. To sync it up with the backup job so that it start copying right after the new restore point is created, you can start the synchronization process manually, using the Sync Now command.
DrEnergy
Service Provider

Post by DrEnergy »

But i want to do it automatically.

When i choose Sync now, the job will now see that there are later restore point but the backup job has those locked because one backup job is running. But because the other back-up job is not running he begins copying the latest restore point of the other backup. Should i change the start time of the copy job to like half an hour later then the back-up job?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

DrEnergy wrote:When i choose Sync now, the job will now see that there are later restore point but the backup job has those locked. So then i will wait as expected.
Yes, if existing restore point was successfully copied during the previous interval.
DrEnergy wrote:Should i change the start time of the copy job to like half an hour later then the back-up job?
This is not required, however is totally up to you.
DrEnergy
Service Provider

Post by DrEnergy »

Hi

I still don't get it, i have been reading multiple articles from Veeam about the Copy job.

I have two back-up jobs with each 2 VM's in it. The first one start at 17:30 and the next one will start right after the first one is finished.

I got one copy job so i can copy the back-up to to an RDX.

The copy job is set to start daily at 22:00, but then right after de back-up is complete the copy job starts because it found new restore point, and at 22:00 it will stop and start again.

I just want the job to be run once everyday at the same time with 24 hour interval.

Can you please point me in the right direction once again?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

DrEnergy wrote:The copy job is set to start daily at 22:00, but then right after de back-up is complete the copy job starts because it found new restore point, and at 22:00 it will stop and start again.

I just want the job to be run once everyday at the same time with 24 hour interval.
Just let it work. It will copy all the blocks it was not able to copy due to starting new interval and then all the blocks required to build the new restore point corresponding to the VM latest state. After that, it will start intervals according to the schedule, once in 24 hours, to copy fresh restore points.
DrEnergy
Service Provider

Post by DrEnergy »

Hi Foggy,

Yeah but then the problem is, a get an e-mail that the job failed at 10:00 because it is stopped because the time interval begins for the next syncrhonisation cycle. In this time between backup completion and say 10:00 it has copied 2 vm's from 5 vm;s. The job that starts at 10:00 because of the interval is always an increment and is copying the last 3 vm's. But then i don't get an e-mail.

I dont wan't the job to be failed because the next copy cycle starts. can i disable the automatic copy job to do nothing when there are new backups in source reposistory, and just begin one cycle everyday and then stops?

Do you understand what im trying to say? Im a little bit confused because of the copy job mechanism.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

DrEnergy wrote:I dont wan't the job to be failed because the next copy cycle starts. can i disable the automatic copy job to do nothing when there are new backups in source reposistory, and just begin one cycle everyday and then stops?
It will not fail every time, just the first time after creating the job (it would not fail at all if being created when there are no restore points to copy or created at 22.00, however in your case it starts copying existing restore points immediately after being created). Then it will sync up and copy newly created restore points during each new interval.

Probably, reviewing the copy interval description will make it more clear.