Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Raycaster
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lennard Price

Can Veeam Restore be 99% automatic?

Post by Raycaster »

When I started backing up family and friends machines years ago I used an automated ghost script to auto-boot a restore.
Using Acronis for the past few years I'm getting more headaches after every update making it close to UN-useable.

My wishlist is simple (My holy grail).

1) Backup Volume C: (boot) drive with normal compression.
2) Backing up a fresh OS should keep me under 64G...
3) Build a auto-booting thumb drive (Cheap 64G now) with Veeam.
4) I would copy the backup to the Thumb drive.
5) Have Veeam auto boot from thumb drive and and start a full restore.

I wouldn't mind a confirmation Y/N but it should intelligently know where partition go...

With 64 and 128G USB Keys being so cheap I would love to have a auto restore for each family laptop and PC sitting in a drawer ready.

Yes, I have a NAS for backup etc. but a super simple bare restore would save me so much time.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Can Veeam Restore be 99% automatic?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Lennard...

I'm not sure if I understand it completely... Are you asking to do a one-time backup of a freshly, clean installed computer, then create the recovery media and more and place the backup on that stick? Like having some sort of "insurance policy" to start clean again whenever something happened?

I that is the case, then it works :-). You can boot from the recovery cd, select the backup and do the full restore, we will match the partitions automatically...

Cheers

Mike
Raycaster
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lennard Price

Post by Raycaster »

Thank you for the quick reply Mike.

To clarify, I basically want to backup a "clean" laptop or pc.
Create an auto boot Veeam 64G thumb drive and place the backup file on it.
I then would be able to boot with thumbdrive when the laptop is corrupt and quickly do a system restore with no fuss.
I'd like it to autoboot and basically just ask "are you sure you want to do a system restore?", then do it.

Basically having a laptop restore partition on a thumbdrive for quick total restore.

This may sound like a lazy request but its the idea of handing my family members a quick dummy way of fixing their virus filled machines without the need of me being there.

Having Grandma simply plug the usb thumbdrive in and select "Y" to have her machine back to factory without me around would be... sweet. Family members can't resist free software viruses...
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Hey Lennard!

Similar requests for the larger USB sticks have been made; unfortunately there are technical limitations with that, that have been discussed here: http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-endpoint- ... ml#p133347

But the core idea I kinda like and could still be done, you just would need a separate device to hold the backup. Perhaps setting up a script that when booting from the stick, it searches for all available VBKs and defaults to restoring from the latest one?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

This is a good feature request. Rereading it again, makes me think that this auto / simple restore via one button might be an additional restore option. If on any 'hidden' step it fails to map the drives or install drivers, it could prompt the complete restore wizard, right?