Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

"Backup now" creates full backup and new chain

Post by Moebius »

Case #00717044

I have VEB configured for 14 restore points and it was working fine.
Two days ago I realized that VEB had missed the backup because the destination NAS was powered off.
I switched on the NAS and clicked "backup now" in the Control Panel window. It failed again because the NAS was still starting and was not available yet.
Waited some minutes and clicked "backup now" again.

This time VEB did a FULL backup (I expected and incremental) and truncated the backup chain as if there were no previous backups. If I go into Restore, I see only that full and the subsequent incremental; the previous full and incrementals are no longer available, even if the relevant files, vbk and vibs, are still on the destination folder.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: "Backup now" creates full backup and new chain

Post by Dima P. »

Lucio,
Thank you! We are aware of this behavior and it happens only with shared folder (NAS) destinations. Will be fixed in GA.
Valen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rico Jansen

Post by Valen »

I have the same issue now due to the share of a unpowered Windows 2k8R2 server being unavailable on for a few days. (No case reported, as the cause is clear and known by this thread) But I just like some clarification on what we can do with the files.

In the mean time until GA, to keep things clean, can we safely remove the older backup files on that share (.vib and .vbk) preceding the last full backup? Or are there still references to the older files in the backup database? Will removing the files break the backup integrity? It seems those older files are now useless as the restore function cannot or does not provide them in the history.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Rico,
Its up to you: to keep or delete. Since the new backup chain started, you are safe to delete the old one, if it is no longer needed.
Valen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rico Jansen

Post by Valen »

Ok, I just wanted confirmation if it would break something. Loosing the history is unfortunate, but acceptable since this is a beta product.