Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

VBR and Exchange Server recovery steps

Post by albertwt »

Hi,

As per my understanding in managing Exchange Server on VMware platform, taking VM snapshot is not supported in all types of Exchange server roles.

Suppose I need to rollback or restore a broken Exchange Server due to a bad patch or service pack, how can I do it from Veeam Backup 8.0 ?

Do I need to restore the Active Directory VM as well or just the broken server itself that I patch ?

I have regular ongoing VM backup job for Exchange servers and Domain Controllers but they are all running at different time window not backed up at the same time.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VBR and Exchange Server recovery steps

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Albert,
albertwt wrote:As per my understanding in managing Exchange Server on VMware platform, taking VM snapshot is not supported in all types of Exchange server roles.
Not every snapshot is not supported. Please take a look a this topic for further reading > Microsoft's policy on using Veeam to back up Exchange
albertwt wrote:Suppose I need to rollback or restore a broken Exchange Server due to a bad patch or service pack, how can I do it from Veeam Backup 8.0 ?
You select the restore point that didn't have this issue and do either full VM restore or Exchange db restore, depends on what kind of issue you're having.

BTW, here is a couple of really good recorded webinars and whitepapers on Exchange backup/restore:

http://www.veeam.com/videos.html?prod=v ... h=exchange
http://www.veeam.com/whitepapers.html?p ... h=exchange

On a side note, in order to address these kind of scenarios I would highly recommend using Virtual Lab/On-Demand Sandbox functionality.
albertwt wrote:I have regular ongoing VM backup job for Exchange servers and Domain Controllers but they are all running at different time window not backed up at the same time.
This should not be an issue during DR situations.

Hope this helps!