Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
briguyiu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Backup Proxy - Automatic selection vs. specified

Post by briguyiu »

Just wanted to see what others do in this case. We have 3 backup proxies, and I have been specifying the backup proxy that has the backup repository attached to it via RDM, vs. automatic selection. Upon initial testing, the jobs tended to take longer using automatic selection. My theory was that if vproxy-01 was processing the backup, but sending to a backup repository that was attached to vproxy-02, there would be extra network traffic.

Here's how it looks:
vproxy-01 -> backup repository 1 (RDM)
vproxy-02 -> backup repository 2 (RDM)
vproxy-03 -> backup repository 3 (RDM)

Does this make any sense, or is anyone else doing it this way? I'm always looking for ways to improve our times/efficiency. I haven't tried automatic in V8 yet, so I'm not sure if the automatic selection algorithm is any better than before to take into account the fact that the RDM is attached to a particular proxy.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Backup Proxy - Automatic selection vs. specified

Post by dellock6 »

If a repository is directly attached to a proxy , and only reachable through it, regardless you use automatic mode or you specify one proxy, that one will always be used since there is no other way to reach the repository other than using that proxy.
And yes, there will always be network traffic because all other proxies involved in a given job but not holding the repository for that job will have to send data to the repository. I don't see automatic selection taking longer other than few seconds at the beginning when Veeam realizes the only accessible path for a repository is a specific proxy. What you mean by longer? Seconds or minutes/hours?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
briguyiu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Post by briguyiu »

I feel like it was close to an hour....been a while since I have done that, but yeah, they are RDM's, so they are only accessible by that proxy I believe. I'll give it a try again to make it auto and see what happens!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

An hour is definitely not acceptable, so I would contact support to investigate the reasons of why this takes so long.