Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Khue
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Files to Tape from CIFS

Post by Khue »

So I have a DD2500 with a CIFS share on it. I have my SQL admins backing up to a share on the DD2500. I have added the DD2500 as a repository in Veeam (v7.0.0.871). I was going to just make myself a quick file to tape job and add the folder from the repository but it looks like I can only add a local drive from the Veeam server itself. Is this correct? Is there no way to get the files from the repository to tape? Would I have to make a mapped drive or something?

Thanks in advance!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Files to Tape from CIFS

Post by veremin »

I can only add a local drive from the Veeam server itself. Is this correct?
Nope, you should be able to archive files from all servers added to a backup console (Backup infrastructure -> Managed servers).

As to your problem, can you map a given share to that machine and try to backup files to tapes?

Thanks.
Khue
Enthusiast

Post by Khue »

The mapped drive seems to be a solution I can use. This is just a once a year type of activity so I guess it's okay. Under the "Managed Servers" section I see that I can add an SMBv3 share. That seems like it might be the better option. Would that require a licenses to add a DD2500 SMBv3 share to that section?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what type of license you're talking about. Thanks.
Khue
Enthusiast

Post by Khue »

I was under the impression that for additional Windows servers, I need to license them. In retrospect after reviewing the documentation that the VAR sent me when we originally purchased Veeam this is probably incorrect and the only time I see a license charge is for sockets on VMware hosts.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

the only time I see a license charge is for sockets on VMware hosts.
Correct.