Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Zedification
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Zed

Full backup to Tape with forever incremental mode ...

Post by Zedification »

Hi,

I would like to backup a VM with 2 TB disk data then make a backup copy and duplication to tape. I would keep 1 year retention.
For the incremental forever mode works, the full synthetic and active fun have to be disable. So how to have full backups with backup copy job. And then to have a job full duplication to tape ?

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Full backup to Tape with forever incremental mode ...

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jed,

Correct me if I`m wrong:
You have primary disk-based backup repository, secondary disk repository and a tape repository.
You need to have 1 year-long retention for backups on the secondary and tape repositories.
You are going to schedule backup job for the primary, backup copy job for the secondary and backup to tape job for the tape repository.

If I`m correct, it can work great, you just need to set a proper retention policy for those jobs.
Backup job can be forever incremental and have as many restore points as you need on the primary repository, backup copy job may use GFS retention policy to achieve flexible historical backup hierarchy. And for to-tape job, you can also schedule backup frequency and retention for the tape media.

Thanks!