Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PokerMunkee
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Poker Munkee

Backing up a Nimble array

Post by PokerMunkee »

Hi,

I'm about to implement a Nimble Storage array. Currently using Unitrends to backup my individual VMware hosts but looking to move to Veeam soon.

Since Veeam doesn't integrate with Nimble's snapshots (yet), how will backing up my VMs work? Will it be VMware snapshot based? Will the backup traffic go over each ESXi host's Management network?

In the future if Veeam integrates with Nimble, then I'd need to have my Veeam box connected to my iSCSI network?

Trying to plan if I need to extend my iSCSI network to a different building where my backup server resides. Need to make sure I understand which network the the backup traffic resides.

Thanks for any help!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backing up a Nimble array

Post by foggy »

PokerMunkee wrote:Since Veeam doesn't integrate with Nimble's snapshots (yet), how will backing up my VMs work? Will it be VMware snapshot based? Will the backup traffic go over each ESXi host's Management network?
Yes, the backup will be VMware snapshot based and the traffic route will depend on the transport mode used (direct SAN, hotadd, nbd).
SGalbincea
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Galbincea

Re: Backing up a Nimble array

Post by SGalbincea »

In our experience with Nimble and Veeam thus far, the best bet is SAN direct mode if you can.
Senior Solutions Engineer, SLED - VMware