Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
benhoward
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben Howard

Simple backups to USB drive

Post by benhoward »

Hello,

I have the following setup - single Hyper-V host with single VM on it, which is effectively running file and print services. I want to back this up to a rotating set of portable USB drives, which are taken off-site each night. I'm struggling with the complexity of Veeam B&R and was wondering...

1. how to set this up - a simple guide would be good! I have it backing up each night with an Active Full backup each Friday...
1. is Veam B&R too complex, I could quite easily just copy the files using robcopy each night, and perform an export of the VM each week.

TIA, Ben.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Simple backups to USB drive

Post by foggy »

Ben, you need to create a backup job for this VM and enable rotated drives option in repository settings. Feel free to ask if something is still not clear.
benhoward
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben Howard

Post by benhoward »

Hi Foogy, thanks for the quick reply. When I click on advanced, I'm presented with Deduplicating Storage Compatibility, not Storage Compat. Screen shot at http://1drv.ms/18NGtvv .
What am I missing?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Seems you're on v7. Then you need to deploy the following registry key to enable the rotated drives scenario.