Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mtoms
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Toms

Re adding VM to existing forever incremental job

Post by mtoms »

Hi all,

I have a current forever incremental backup job that stores 7 recovery points for each VM. I recently had an issue with one VM whereby it would reboot itself when DRS attempted to vMotion it to another host. To resolve this issue I shutdown the VM, removed it from vcenter inventory and readded it. Booted the VM and DRS could happily move the VM via vMotion whilst running.

After completing that my Veeam backup job failed to backup that VM, so I edited the job, removed and readded the VM to the job. I now reports as successful for that VM however it is only storing 1 recovery point instead of 7. Do I need to delete the single recovery point so that when the jobs runs it will perform a full backup of that VM and therefore create a new chain?

Any advice most appreciated.

Matt
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Re adding VM to existing forever incremental job

Post by veremin »

If you go to backups node and select a corresponding job, can you see there VM with the same name listed twice? One has about 7 restore points, the other only one? Thanks.
mtoms
Influencer

Post by mtoms »

Hi v.Eremin

yes I can. I suppose I just need to delete the backup that has only a single recovery point?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Due to the described operation VM has got a new MorefID and now is considered as a new one from VB&R's perspective. Thus, you can see there two VMs with the same VM. One with 7 restore points refers to VM prior to re-registration, one with 1 restore point to VM after re-registration.

Leave everything as is - the previous restore points will be deleted automatically, when retention is reached.

Thanks.
mtoms
Influencer

Post by mtoms »

it is actually the other way around, the one with 7 restore points refers to the vm after re-registration and the one with 1 restore point refers to the vm prior to re-registration. Given that the single restore point is almost a month old, should I delete it?

Cheers
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So, after re-registration there have been seven job cycles, right? If you're positive, the VM with one restore point refers to the obsolete VM, you can delete it. Thanks.
mtoms
Influencer

Post by mtoms »

Yes that is correct. I have now deleted the old outdated and obsolete restore point.

Thanks for your help.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should other questions arise, feel free to ask.