Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hsm
Lurker
Liked: never

Oracle 12c Database Backup with VSS

Post by hsm »

Hallo!

In an testing environment I tried to backup and restore an oracle 12c databse with VSS. It works like a charm, but everytime I recover the whole machine, the database is running, but all schemas are in backup mode and I have to put them back to online mode.

My question is now - Is this behaviour "normal" and do I get a consistence backup of all data at time of the snapshot? - If not, are there any further steps I have to take after recovery?

Thanks in advance!
Steeve
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Oracle 12c Database Backup with VSS

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
for what I know this is expected behaviour. conistency is guaranteed by VSS that puts the databasefiles in hot backup mode and stop writing to online redo logs. During restore, you are epxected to bring the database back in original position and afterwards execute e reset logs operations. If you also backup archive logs and then have them available, yo can do point in time restore, otherwise oracle will just replay the redo logs to the last point stored in them.
You can find additional info here:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/win ... 10/vss.htm
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
hsm
Lurker

Post by hsm »

Hello Luca,

thank you very much for you reply! - It's good to know that my setup is working correctly and as expected.

Steeve
killingworth
Lurker
Full Name: Kevin Illingworth

[MERGED] Backup Oracle VM

Post by killingworth »

Hi

Please can someone help me I have a VM (VMWare) that I need to backup using VEEAM it is hosting an Oracle database which can not be taken offline as it runs our production within the factory is they a way in which you can do this ?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Kevin,
It is possible without shutting the application down. What version of Oracle Database are you using?
Thanks.