Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mellerbeck
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

So who uses Veeam for SQL backups?

Post by mellerbeck »

I'm trying to get a feel for how it works, and how you have it configured. Thanks for any info! I imagine that you could have the DB go on a daily replication and then maybe replicate the log drive hourly? Any insight.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: So who uses Veeam for SQL backups?

Post by Gostev »

Michael, it sounds like you are describing agent-based SQL backups. Veeam Backup does image-level backups, so all you need to do is add SQL VM to backup job, make sure Veeam VSS is enabled, and set backup schedule you like. Nothing else should be needed.

Generally SQL is one of the most common applications our customers virtualize and backup with Veeam, so you can find many existing discussion about this for past few years on this forum.
mellerbeck
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

Post by mellerbeck »

Thanks as usual for the quick response! What I am trying to do is reduce the amount of data that is transferred over the WAN. It seems one way of doing this is excluding disks that are used for the guest paging file, as well as log files. I was wondering if it would make sense to say run an image level backup of the sql DB but then instead of continuing to image and replicate the changes to the DB instead replicate the log file drive, in an attempt to limit the amount of changed data sent over the wire. This might be stupid but just a thought :)

I'm also trying to get a feel for what size of DB's people are replicating over what type of connections. (Whether they use WAN acceleration would also be interesting)

Also, in some cases would it make sense to use more of an application focused piece of software say double take for a sql server.

-Michael
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

There are a number of existing post on WAN acceleration with actual data.
Anyone used WAN acceleration tools to replicate over WAN?
VEEAM with Riverbed

Also we had a number of discussions around replication and connection speed - please use forum's Search if you'd like to find more info on that.

As for SQL question I will have to defer that to SQL pros. :)
davidshq
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David Mackey

Post by davidshq »

Michael,
We backup our SQL Servers using Veeam but also use Red-Gate's SQL Backup. It provides a high level of compression, quick restores, and object level restores (e.g. individual tables, etc.).
Dave.