Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
hmhill
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Hank Hill

Daily file to tape

Post by hmhill »

Have a client who does not want to keep any backups on disk. Since I can't do straight to tape, these are the only options I can think of:

Have the backups run with a 1 day retention so that it is deleted at the next run.
Run a post script in the tape job that deletes all files from the disk repository.

Anyone have a different/better idea?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Daily file to tape

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hank,
Sounds like a perfect plan, you can set scheduling to ‘as a new backup file appear’ so tape job would start right after backup to disk.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

It might be worth enabling "Rotated" option in the repository settings. This way the repository will condone backup files' disappearance. Thanks.
hmhill
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Hank Hill

Post by hmhill »

I tested a job with the as new backup file appears that worked the first time. However, subsequent runs have not been copied to tape. The message I see is "this server is locked by a running job. postponing processing". It seems the VIB files that did not get copied are being deleted from the repository as soon as the backup job finishes.

I'm trying the rotated option with a delete script now.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're using forward forever incremental mode, aren't you? I think that specifying two restore points instead of 1 should do the trick for you. Thanks.